SSH terminal locking up from OS X to FreeBSD

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Wed Feb 23 06:19:25 GMT 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 13:50, jim at freeze.org wrote:

> * Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> [2005-02-22 15:35:53
> -0600]:
>
>> On Feb 22, 2005, at 3:11 PM, jim at freeze.org wrote:
>>
>> What version of Mac OS X are you using?  All of my workstations are
>> Mac
>> OS X, and all but one server (an old cobalt raq 2) are running FreeBSD
>> 5.3, and I have never seen a problem with using ssh from a terminal to
>> a FreeBSD system.
>
> OS X is always the latest, currently 10.3.8.
> I have no control over the version this
> particular FreeBSD system, but this problem has
> persisted for several versions of Mac OS X and
> FreeBSD.

I have been using ssh from my Macs to FreeBSD versions from 2.5 and up.
  Currently I have servers running 4.6 and 5.3.  My connections stay
active for one hour without problems.  The one hour limit is from an
undocumented feature in Apple's Airport that terminates a connection if
there is no activity for an hour.  The configuration on both ends is
out of the box except that I force version 2 on both machines and have
changed the port away from 22.

To see what is happening using tcpdump do the following on both
machines as root:

1. tcpdump -xXs1500 port 22 > xxx   (xxx is some file name to save the
trace)
2.open the connection and cause it to fail
3. terminate the tcpdumps.
4. The traces in the xxx files will be time stamped and you should be
able to check them side by side and watch what happens.  One or the
other will probably stop responding.

Another thing that may help is to use (as root) ktrace on the sshd
server and on the ssh client.  That will generate a lot of output but
may help with the tcpdump to see why the problem is occuring.