Questions about ports

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Feb 22 18:38:33 GMT 2005

"Ramiro Aceves" <ea1abz at wanadoo.es> writes:

> I am sorry, I am now at a winbugs computer at University. ;-)

Which probably has fast Internet access, and might be a decent place
to FTP from; but you would have to do it by hand, through an FTP client.

> IIRC, I will have to donwload manually the packages in wich mozilla depends
> on. That was the reason I was looking for the PACKGEROOT and PACKAGESITE
> environment variables. I am right?

You could do it that way, but you need to know the exact URL of the
package file.  [PACKAGEROOT doesn't help; it only specifies the host
to download from.]  You could automatically build the URL in a script,
much the way that pkg_add does it internally.

I'd still recommend building everything from ports, because you avoid
the case of having some packages depending on a slightly different
version of a dependency than another package.  It takes a long time to
build, but who cares -- you don't need to pay attention.