Questions about ports

Donald J. O'Neill donaldj1066 at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 22 15:59:41 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 February 2005 06:15 am, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> Hello FreeBSD friends
>
> I have a question about ports. I have installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a AMD
> 400 MHz machine with 64 MB RAM, so it is not a fast machine for
> compiling big programs! :-). The problem I am going to tell you,
> happened to me several weeks ago into another slower machine (Pentium
> 75 in which there is no OS now), and I can not remember some details,
> so  I am sorry if I am not too acurate. I suppose I will run into
> this problem again with the AMD machine so I would like to understand
> it better.
>

> 1- I  installed mozilla 1.7.2-2,2 from the packages on the CDROM.
> 2- I cvsuped the ports collection.
> 3- I installed and compiled some programs from the updated ports
> collection. 4- Mozilla did not work anymore cause in needs atk-1.6.1.
>
> Mozilla in the package is 1.7.2_2,2 and depends on atk-1.6.1
> If I install programs from the updated ports tree, atk-1.8.0 was
> installed for another port and atk-1.6.1 removed, but mozilla on the
> CDROM package wants atk-1.6.1. So, If I try to install again from the
> cdrom, it cant cause atk-1.8.0 is installed.
>
> Compilling mozilla in this slow machine is not reasonable, so:
>
> Can I download a more updated mozilla package acording to my updated
> ports collection? I have browsed pkg_add man pages and believe that
> the environment variables PACKAGESITE and PACKAGEROOT need to be set
> so that pkg_add can fetch more updated packages. Am I right? Where
> should they point to?
>
> I will use pkg_add only for big programs, and I can use the ports
> collectio to compile the little ones.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Ramiro.

Ramiro,

If you're not going to compile from the ports tree, or use portupgrade
or portmanager, then you will have to use pkg_add. Yoy don't have to
set PACKAGESITE and/or PACKAGEROOT. You will probably have to do
"pkg_delete mozilla-1.7.2_2,2 to remove mozilla from your installed
packages. Then you can do "package_add -r mozilla", and it should
download and install mozilla and required packages that haven't already
been installed.

Is there some reason you would rather use mozilla than, say, www/firefox
and mail/thunderbird?

Don

--
Donald J. O'Neill