Need IMAP Server Selection Advice

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Mon Feb 21 20:17:06 GMT 2005

James,

It looks like you got a lot of discussion about your question without getting
a real answer to your question so I would like to try.

On February 20, 2005 08:05 pm, James Stallings II wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm a recent covert to FreeBSD from many years of using linux on both
> the server and the desktop. I'm currently using FreeBSD 5.3 on the
> server and a new variant of FreeBSD called OS/X on the desktop :D
>
> My question involves my server; what is the best strategy to a working
> IMAP server? I have my own domain, and have operated IMAP under linux
> for years without issue, but I can't seem to get it crankin' under
> FreeBSD.

The hands down easiest way to get IMAP up and running on your FreeBSD system
is to install The UW-IMAP server from ports or packages. As root, simply run

pkg_add -r imap-uw

This will install a simple IMAP server that works with the default sendmail
installation. It will work with the clients you mentioned.

If you are planning on running a large mail server (hundreds or thousands of
users) you probably want to go with one of the other ones that were
mentioned. Courier-IMAP is my choice but I understand the Cyrus and Binc are
also quite good.

> I'm quite certain this has more to do with my relative inexperience
> with FreeBSD than with FreeBSD itself.

If you are not familiar with the ports and packages system yet, read up on it
in the handbook.

> Whats the shortest path to a working configuration? I'm not particular
> about whose software I use; I just need to be able to hit it for mail
> via IMAP with Thunderbird or Mozilla.

IMAP-UW is the easiest. It is not the most robust or feature rich.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org