Ack, the mysql41-server port killed my box

Matt Rechkemmer tiberius at trancell.org
Sat Feb 19 11:07:51 GMT 2005

Lately my FreeBSD 5.3R system has been running fine.  Tonight I decided to
load the mysql 4.1.x port.  After loading it, glancing at mysql-server.sh, and
firing it up, things went haywire.

At the time I had two root sessions open, as well as two normal users.  My
normal users started getting permission denied for everything, new users are
unable to login receiving this via SSHd:

No supported authentication methods left to try!

Root cannot query any user information.  /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd
look fine.  MySQL.d is NOT running, it never did startup, and now I am
effectively locked out of the system if I logout.

It's obviously authenticated since /var/log/auth.log reports:
Feb 19 04:51:17 hybrid sshd[79901]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for
theuser from 172.17.1.11 port 2101 ssh2

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, Google has so far yieled nothing on this
topic.

Thanks!

Matt Rechkemmer
tiberius at trancell.org