problem with GCC search path on FreeBSD5.3 AMD64

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Feb 19 08:06:23 GMT 2005

Kris, a lot of systems don't like the spaces, the more portable way
to set those flags should be:

"-L/usr/local/lib -I/usr/local/include"

And this only sets it up for linking the binary, not runtime linking.
He still needs to specify either "-R/usr/local/lib" to the linker
(ld,) to get a binary that finds it's libraries, or use one of
the other tricks (ldconfig, softlinks, etc.)

gcc -B/usr/local/lib  as near as I can tell makes gcc look for the
linker in /usr/local/lib which as you observe is completely wrong.

Ted