Verizon's EVDO and FreeBSD

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Feb 18 07:51:03 GMT 2005

Whoah there Chad!  Please refer to the following website, guy!:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/OSX_Technology
_Overview/index.html

Note the following statement there:

"...Beneath the appealing, easy-to-use interface of Mac OS X is a
rock-solid,
UNIX-based foundation called Darwin that is engineered for stability,
reliability,
and performance. Darwin integrates a number of technologies, most
importantly Mach 3.0,
operating-system services based on FreeBSD 5,
--------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> It has a BSD user layer and
> compatibility layer and they DO use the FreeBSD userland for
> their own,

No, a lot more than that, see Darwin.

> but the driver level is MUCH different.

I know that, but that is today, not yesterday.  Bob stated the "old open
source"
driver, I took that to mean a version 1.0 driver released for the first
ever
version of MacOS X.  I didn't know this card and service was a new thing.

Ted