Trouble with sshd in jail

Emanuel Strobl emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Thu Feb 17 16:03:50 GMT 2005

Am Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2005 16:35 schrieb musikcom at ngs.ru:
[...]
> Then I start jail:
>
> #jail /jail testhost 161.66.11.2 /bin/sh /etc/rc
>
> Two problems: then jail startup, the message "Starting
> sshd..." stops for 10 min. That's one. Then booting

This is because the sshd startupscript generates keypairs if they are missing.
And for that it waits to enter some random data which leads to that long
timeout even on a fast machine.

> proccess continies and finish successfull. Second problem
> is when I try to connect to jail (161.66.11.2) with ssh
> client.
> ---Connect 161.66.11.2...
> ---Login as: root
> AND STOPS!!! For 7-10 min. Than "password" field appears,
> but I have wait so much time...

This is because sshd tries to resolve addresses of connected hosts.
Fix your DNS or edit /etc/hosts accordingly.

-Harry