Grainy X Windows and KDE.

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Feb 17 16:02:42 GMT 2005

Dmitri Furman wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD experts.  Your help with this would be greatly appreciated.
> I spent a week now trying to setup FreeBSD on my Dell Dimension 8200
> Desktop.  Most of the time was spent setting up Xorg to work.  I have
> Nvidia video card GeForce MX4400 with 32 MB or RAM.  I had to rebuild
> kernel to make Nvidia driver work.  I am able to run in 1024x768 mode
> but picture is really grainy.  I specified depth at 24 and also tried
> 32.  I have a 15" Flat Panel monitor.  If anyone had any luck or has
> some pointers on what I have to do to resolve grainy colors problem
> please let me know what I need to do.  Thank you.

Is 1024x768 the "native" resolution of your flat panel? My
experience with LCDs is that any deviation from the OEM's
recommended resolution is likely to result in an ugly display.

The more expensive the panel is, the better it is likely to look at
alternate resolutions, but generally "there can be only one" with
regard to best image quality.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348