umask

koen de wijs koendewijs at gmx.net
Wed Feb 16 15:51:07 GMT 2005

Hello,
I have a question aboout the umask under FreeBSD. I couldn't find what
it exactly is.
It is something for setting files how you set the 'xrwxrwxrw'
I found a file where you could chance it but don't knwo anymore what it
was.

I want to use this for my ftp-server with FreeBSD.
I have a directory 'upload' where all my friends can put there files.
They are all members of the group 'ftpusers'. But when they put a file
in that directory all the other users from the group 'ftpusers'
canchange or delete this file. I want to change it so that the write bit
for the group is off when someonse of the ftpusers group writes
something in the folder 'upload'. Can I do this with changing the umaks
and how do I change that? I couldn't found any information on that.

Thanks ,
Koen