Anthony

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Tue Feb 15 13:48:48 GMT 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:56:06PM +0100, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> I think most of the time Anthony *does* know what he writes about

He certainly know more about some subjects than I do, I will not
dispute that. However in all these e-mails I've never seen him back
off once on subjects that I *do* know, even when faced with
overwhelming evidence that contradict his 'facts'.

> Discussion will *never* silence such a person, nor will polite questions
> do the trick. They feed on response. The only way we got rid of this
> person was to *totally* ignore everything he wrote about. *Everything*!
> It took quite a while before everybody understood this to be the way to
> go. As long as people keep on responding, Anthony's will florish..
>
> As he once said (one of the things I agree about): a killfile is no
> solution; it's the easy way out; a bit childish even ;-)

It is a bit childish; that's why he currently is the *only* person
whose mail goes directly to /dev/null.

I had actually given him the benefit of the doubt; this is my second
encounter with a person named 'Anthony Atkielski' on this list (given
the name I presume it's the same one), and it's not pretty _for the
second time_. Reasoning wouldn't work the first time, and I can
certainly ignore a lot of e-mail that I get from him or others, but I
do get a bit upset when a person simply misstates the facts and will
not back down (IE better at standards support being just one of said
facts).

I agree that response is what keeps these threads alive, and I know
that I'm contributing once again to the flames. However I'm still
hoping that Anthony will stop writing e-mails and start writing code
or documentation, or maybe triage bugs, or *anything* else that
benefits the FreeBSD project more than bickering about logo's, other
OS's, and desktops, and who 'is right' in one situation vs another.

Actually *doing* things is pretty satisfying too, you know.

In any case, this is my last public e-mail on the subject.

--Stijn

--
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart
he thinks himself your master.