Anthony

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Feb 15 13:44:34 GMT 2005

On Feb 15, 2005, at 7:56 AM, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

> On 15 Feb Timothy Smith wrote:
>> Stijn Hoop wrote:

>>> Thank you for giving me another reason to killfile you again, after
>>> you resurfaced without your vanity domain. You clearly don't know
>>> jack about the things you write. Maybe you could write some code
>>> instead of exploding the lists with drivel.
>>>
>>> *plonk*
>>>
>> hah well said sir
>
> I think most of the time Anthony *does* know what he writes about but
> does not care enough to be honoust about *all* the facts. In Holland we
> also had a person like him -silent for quite some time now- polluting
> a list with propaganda and twisted truths about windows/linux things.
>
> Discussion will *never* silence such a person, nor will polite
> questions
> do the trick. They feed on response. The only way we got rid of this
> person was to *totally* ignore everything he wrote about. *Everything*!
> It took quite a while before everybody understood this to be the way to
> go. As long as people keep on responding, Anthony's will florish..

The problem with that is that the propaganda will be picked up by
Google caches and the like; people that know enough to search for
answers and and starting out trying to learn the ropes start finding
the drivel and lies and if no one responds, by nature, people tend to
believe the crap.  "No one offered a counter to it...."

:-/

These events also show the personality of the cult in which new people
are starting to dip their toes into.  I can't count the number of
people I've read accounts from saying that they were turned off to
Linux a couple of times simply because the "help" was to go to IRC or
newsgroups, and the people there were childish monsters.  Here is a
list forum that has attracted people with FreeBSD questions (technical
questions, general questions...I see it listed on the reply as just
questions and not tech-questions) and some of these side discussions
are now being met with listmoms demanding it be moved to -discussion
(if it's supposed to be strict, wouldn't this forum be to ask questions
and discussion be to get answers?).  If the list starts getting really
negative, other people will be turned off to it.  (All this talk about
logo/mascot contests...why would people WANT to get involved for
"marketing" it if the people that usually help new people or people
having trouble turn sour at others when they could opt just to ignore
it?).  Sometimes the discussion DOES still help people.  One person
commented that they thought the Ernie Ball story was interesting.  I
had assumed people involved in using OSS or have to "market" it to
their bosses would have found that information years ago already.

Eventually people probably will get so sick of it they just stop
replying.  As I said early on to Anthony, he didn't hear what he wants
to hear, so there's no point in answering him.  Sorry, no photoshop for
FreeBSD, and if that's the only kind of criticism you have, there's
nothing we can do about it.  Go away then.  But he continued to post
about things that can mislead other people.  Yes, I'm guilty of feeding
him too at the moment...I've worked hard at learning FreeBSD and Linux,
and when people rip at it with information that is inaccurate, I don't
want others to find that and think it's gospel truth.  It's just an OS
but I've "wasted" a good portion of my life trying to learn the ropes
of it and introducing it to my workplace, and I know what it's like to
run into people with these kind of attitudes and I know that I've
personally found ways that for me (and for what the majority of other
people do) there *are* workarounds and alternatives available to them.
Anthony comes off as the type of person that already has his mind set
and what he's hoping to accomplish here I don't know...