Recommended desktop?

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sun Feb 13 19:12:14 GMT 2005

Len Zettel wrote:
> I am looking for a desktop environment to run
> with freebsd. I will be the sole user.
>
> Must-have:
> graphical ftp client
> spreadsheet package capable of handling .xls files
> word processor capable of handling .doc files
> ability to handle email
> web browser.
>
> Given the above, the winner will be the one whose
> ins and outs are the easiest to master  thoroughly - likely a
> tradeoff between simplicity of design and implementation
> and thoroughness of documentation.
>
> I have been in the computer biz since 1962 and have
> been paid to program in C, BASIC, and Forth, among
> others. I have been notorious for reading manuals.
>
> Suggestions?
>   -LenZ-

For a WindowManager: If you want a Windows-is feel
KDE
Otherwise:
Gnome
FluxBox
etc.

Graphical FTP Client:
Kbear
Gftp (My personal choice)

SpeadSheet and Word Proc:
OpenOffice
K-Office (KDE & Gnome)
Abu-Word for word proc.

Email:
KMail
Thunderbird (Personal choice)
Evolution (For that Outlook feel etc.)

Web Browsing:
Firefox (My personal choice)
Konqueror (KDE)
Mozilla
Netscape
Opera (a fine browser - would be my 2nd choice)

There are others - check /usr/ports

--
Best regards,
Chris

Simple jobs always get put off because there will be
time to do them later.