Recommended desktop?

Len Zettel zettel at acm.org
Sun Feb 13 18:21:11 GMT 2005

I am looking for a desktop environment to run
with freebsd. I will be the sole user.

Must-have:
graphical ftp client
spreadsheet package capable of handling .xls files
word processor capable of handling .doc files
ability to handle email
web browser.

Given the above, the winner will be the one whose
ins and outs are the easiest to master  thoroughly - likely a
tradeoff between simplicity of design and implementation
and thoroughness of documentation.

I have been in the computer biz since 1962 and have
been paid to program in C, BASIC, and Forth, among
others. I have been notorious for reading manuals.

Suggestions?
  -LenZ-