Freebsd vs. linux

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sun Feb 13 08:18:25 GMT 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 12:54 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC writes:
>
>> Or if you are a BSD/UNIX/Linux admin.  It is a lot easier to ssh and
>> do
>> all the other things you want with your unix-like servers from Mac OS
>> than from Windows.
>
> Why?  I use SecureCRT and SecureFX for FTP, and both work beautifully.

I have not used that, but I doubt it beats using a real openssh client
inside a unix based terminal emulator in terms of terminal emulation
and shell compatibility.  As I said, I have not used this one, but all
the other windows ones I have tried sucked royally.

> I've never found a solution for running an X Server on Windows,

They exist.   A friend of mine had one running on w2000 several years
ago logging into hi BSD and Linux boxes using xterm. It worked
reasonably well.

> but
> since I'm unwilling to run X on my production FreeBSD server, it hasn't
> been too much of an issue.  It will be if I decide to set up another
> machine with X.

I was not talking about an X11 server.  I do have one on my Mac but I
rarely run it.   I occasionally have a need. I was talking about native
Mac OS X capabilities and applications.  The userland is based on the
FreeBSD one, though the underlying kernel and plumbing are a custom
Mach solution.

Since OS X is a unix-life platform, and has the same toolchain and a
very similar environment to FreeBSD and Linux, it  meshes a lot easier.
  I have a Windows XP machine sitting here that dual boots with NT.  I
rarely boot it though.  I do have one website that was developed in a
Windows (-only) based program that needs to be updated occasionally
(soon to be replaced by a WebObjects dynamic app)...  And a few games
that I have not bothered to play in months are on the machine.

I do everything else on my Mac(s) including bookkeeping/accounting for
a couple of businesses, credit card authorizations, software
development, email, browsing, netnews, Terminal and ssh into my FreeBSD
and lone Linux servers, database admin, word processing, presentations,
graphics/photo and video editing (not a lot of the latter
unfortunately), and many other things.  And I am not a magnet for
viruses, spyware, adware, I do not pay a MS tax anymore (I don't plan
on updating my Windows machine) and I am much more productive than I
was when the Windows 2000 machine was my main workstation.  They  just
work.  Something that Windows cannot always say (driver, dll, etc
conflicts, screwed up registry [my W2000 machine is dying a slow death
of rot and decay -- I have not a clue on what is wrong but it seems to
decay over time as the registry corrupts and rots], etc).  I don't see
lots of freeze ups and BSOD anymore on Windows --  that has gotten
better -- but the inconsistencies and the rot and decay that gradually
make the machines less stable (without the spyware/adware/malware too)
is enough for me.  (And yes, Windows rots and decays, most likely from
registry corruptions -- the registry is the dumbest thing they could do
-- a single massive point of failure).  And I am a techno-geek -- not
some average joe user who wouldn't have a clue.

Chad