Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 12 02:34:59 GMT 2005

Kevin Kinsey writes:

> IIRC, this was the sort of thing that caused a few people to
> killfile your address a couple years back.

The sort of teenage-boy attitude that causes some people to killfile
others is one of the worst handicaps of the FreeBSD project.  It is bad
enough that I hesitate to clearly recommend FreeBSD for any type of
serious use, simply because my reputation might suffer when anyone using
the OS tries to actually talk to other users or persons involved with
the project.

A case in point is the ridiculous argument and name-calling I see here
over Beastie. The kiddies are more worried about the fate of a cartoon
character than about the operating system it represents. When so many
people behave so petulantly over such trivial matters, it creates an
overall perception of immaturity that scares off serious potential users
of the OS. One has the impression of trying to calm a classroom full of
first graders rather than discussing issues intelligently in a
conference room with professional peers.  I can say with absolute
confidence that corporate decision makers who encounter this type of
behavior will permanently write off FreeBSD within minutes of seeing it;
and I can't say that I blame them, as no CEO or CIO can afford to bet
millions of dollars on the capricious behavior of a bunch of junior-high
kids.

--
Anthony