SQL Questions -> migrating MySQL to PostgreSQL?

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Fri Feb 11 16:28:40 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 19:18, Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Peter Risdon wrote:
> > Postgresql is an excellent dbms and well worth a look. But if you're
> > starting out, I think mysql is the place to be.
>
> Ok, since the discussion is up, I have used MySQL for years, no problem
> serves my needs. Yet, I'd like to try out that PostgreSQL so many talks
> about. So, how do I migrate?
>
> I want to dump my mysql database - not big - and load it all into
> postgresql - of course it's perlable, but maybe there is an easier
> solution. Second, what do I need to change in my php scripts?
>
> Thanks, Erik

There is an article on converting a database from MySQL to PostgreSQL on
the FreeBSD Diary.

I have done it myself with a very small database - I just did a
mysqldump, and made a few edits by hand to remove MySQLisms, and then
loaded it with psql.  No major gotchas at all.

I prefer PostgreSQL - it seems a more complete and professional product
to me - not to speak ill of MySQL, which is enormously successful.

A pity that PgAccess still needs lots of work, as a competitor to
Access.