SQL Questions (MySQL or PostgreSQL?)

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Fri Feb 11 15:59:00 PST 2005

On February 11, 2005 05:17 pm, Sean wrote:
> Jan Branbergen wrote:
> >>I would like to install SQL here for my own use, not for any real life
> >>
> >>currently, round now for learning.
> >>
> >>Right now plan to install MySQL.
> >>Looking through the ports there is numerous version and some say for
> >>
> >>server, some say for client.
> >>
> >>Looking for some tips as to what version of SQL and tools to
> >>install?
> >>Also wondering if anyone can point me towards documentation in my
> >>learning efforts?
> >
> > i would like to suggest PostgreSQL if your objective is learning SQL.
> > MySQL only provides a subset.
> >
> > it is by no means more complicated to install or to get started.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Jan
>
> What is the difference between PostgreSQL and MySQL?
>  From what I see MySQL seems to be more common.

From a basic design standpoint, MySQL was designed to be a fast language
compatible RDBMS system. To achieve that goal they cut out a lot of features.
Particularly those related to integrity, consistency, and validity checking.

Postgres is designed to be a fully functional RDBMS that complies with the SQL
standard. It includes integrity, consistency, and validity checking that
MySQL lacks.

I also think one of the reasons that MySQL is more common than Postgres is
because when they were both starting out, MySQL got a functional RDBMS out
much sooner than Postgres did and when Postgres did get theirs out, MySQL was
a lot faster (because of the lack of data validation). Postgres has since
closed the gap a lot on the speed issues while keeping the data integrity.

On the other hand, there are a lot more tools that make managing a MySQL
server easier.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org