SQL Questions (MySQL or PostgreSQL?)

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Fri Feb 11 14:51:32 PST 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 04:17 pm, Sean wrote:

> What is the difference between PostgreSQL and MySQL?
>  From what I see MySQL seems to be more common.
>
> 	Sean

What.....not enough holy wars this week?  ;-)

PostgreSQL and MySQL are both good database server applications.  Here
are some links that you might find useful.

http://www.builderau.com.au/architect/database/0,39024547,20266351,00.htm
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mysql/article.php/3288951

If you need more info, visit their websites or google.
http://www.mysql.com/
http://www.postgresql.org/

MySQL is very popular for web applications.  From a marketing
perspective, it benefited greatly from the acronym "LAMP".

If you're distributing database applications, you'll probably prefer
PostgreSQL's license.

My personal preference is PostgreSQL.  I use it for data analysis and
database applications that use MS Access as a desktop front-end.  It's
been fast and rock-solid.  The current version, version 8, is the first
version with a port that is native to Windows.

I also share certain public data with Windows users with laptops.  Since
MySQL uses less disk space to store the database and has had a Windows
version for several years, it was the better choice for their needs.

As I said, both are good database servers.  You have to match the server
to your own needs.

Andrew Gould