Dumb question about ports/packages

Ian Moore no-spam at swiftdsl.com.au
Fri Feb 11 14:50:57 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:50, Matt Rechkemmer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 09:45:07AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> These are probably RTFM questions, but I didn't seem to find a mention of
> the base system packages in the UPGRADING document.  So how would one
> update a base package, check it out of CVS and just compile/install like
> normal?

There are 2 UPDATING files - /usr/ports/UPDATING for the ports collection
& /usr/src/UPDATING for the base system.

> Should upgrading the entire system become a necessity (say 4.10 to 4.11),
> would a reboot be *absolutely* necessary?
Yes, if you update your kernel, you can't load it except by re-booting.
The 'correct' and safest way to update is to do the update, as the handbook
says, involves doing

# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot
in single user mode.

> Final question :-), is there anyway to determine if a base package is out
> of date? Or is just wise to leave the base alone and upgrade when a new
> release comes along.

You should at least update your system when security vulnerabilities occur in
the base system. To minimise upgrades, follow the security  branch for your
release - this only has security fixes, not new features. See the handbook
for details. Subscribe to the Security Notifications list to get notification
of base system vunerabilities.

Cheers,
--
Ian