Dumb question about ports/packages

Matt Rechkemmer tiberius at trancell.org
Thu Feb 10 23:21:53 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 09:45:07AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Um, no, as the original poster pointed out, ssh is part of the base
> system, and normally you don't need the port.
>
> Upgrading the base system *is* the best approach.  It *doesn't*
> normally require updating to the latest release; 4.10, for example, is
> still a supported branch, and will be for (at least) another year or
> so.  Updating to the latest of the 4.10 branch will do fine for this
> kind of problem.

These are probably RTFM questions, but I didn't seem to find a mention of the
base system packages in the UPGRADING document.  So how would one update a
base package, check it out of CVS and just compile/install like normal?

Should upgrading the entire system become a necessity (say 4.10 to 4.11),
would a reboot be *absolutely* necessary?

Final question :-), is there anyway to determine if a base package is out of
date? Or is just wise to leave the base alone and upgrade when a new release
comes along.

Many thanks,

--
Matt Rechkemmer