Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as NetBSD!!!

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 11 09:05:57 PST 2005

Bart Silverstrim writes:

> People want to change the logo from Beastie to something else because
> Beastie isn't professional enough, so some committers decided to hold a
> contest for a new logo?

Beastie isn't a logo.  There is no logo for FreeBSD at the moment.
Creating one is probably a good idea.

> Out of curiosity, is Beastie so terrible, a logo, that a business would
> be stupid enough to base their server decisions based on it?

Overall, no.  But some business owners are stupid.

A more likely problem is that the devil-worship aspect of Beastie might
prevent religiously fanatic potential customers from considering the OS
in the first place, thus making it impossible to get a foot in the door.
Once someone knows something about the operating system, I doubt that
Beastie makes any difference, even among highly religious people.

> Would you care if a business were that dumb...would you actually
> *want* them using it?

They could be dumb in that way, but still smart in IT.  There's
certainly no shortage of people in that category.

> Windows' logo isn't even a logo.  It's a flag of a window pane falling
> apart in the breeze.

It meets the criteria for a logo.

> Since when did FreeBSD, a project always driven by volunteers and not
> by commercial matters, suddenly gain a marketing department that is
> trying to steer FreeBSD into the business sector?  Is FreeBSD starting
> to have marketing dictate technology instead of technology dictate
> marketing?

Would you prefer that FreeBSD remain the best kept secret on the Web?
It's a good operating system ... why not promote it?  It's better than
Linux.  It would be nice to see a technically superior product actually
win, for once.

--
Anthony