Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as NetBSD!!!

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Fri Feb 11 06:30:07 PST 2005

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Here's a page (a NetBSD logo contest entry) which addresses many of
> these concerns, and coincidentally underlines my point about the
> daemon not being exclusive to FreeBSD:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/codesamurai/netbsd-logo-entry/

That is not bad. But is it sufficiently different from the original
Beastie that it is not burdened with being a "derivative worK" in
terms of copyright?

Understanding that this distinction cannot be really certain except
as a consequence of litigation on that point, the underlying
question is "Do you really want to go there?". I suppose the
solution to the potential ambiguity for this or any other comparable
logo would be to get McKusick to sign off on it in some formal way,
indicating "that is not Beastie".

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348