Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such asNetBSD!!!

Frank J. Laszlo laszlof at tvog.net
Thu Feb 10 16:35:15 PST 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Frank Laszlo writes:
>

>>Yes, Process colors being 4 plates, but rendered properly, it could be
>>less.
>>

>All process printing requires four (or six) colors. That's what process
>means.
>

>>The current "logo" as it is shown on freebsd.org, COULD be printed on 2
>>plates, as a 2 color job. those colors being black and red.
>>

>Possibly.  It would still look odd, though.
>

>>This isnt an issue with todays modern digital 4 color presses such as
>>the iGen3.
>>

>It's an issue with any press.  Digital presses have less trouble with
>registration, but they aren't any better at getting the line frequencies
>higher.  Indeed, normal offset provides higher frequencies.
>

>>It has no problem with registration if ran by a qualified
>>operator. Now if you are a 80's or 90's printer using an old heidelburg
>>2 color press, sure.. registration is very difficult when dealing with
>>small print and screens.
>>

>What sort of printer would FreeBSD best be able to afford?

Well, I'm not going into budget issues, but yes you have a point here. I
am open to quote any print
job if the FreeBSD Foundation so chooses to do official corporate print
work. e.g. letterhead, business
cards, printed manuals, etc.. I would of course give my normal discount
as I do with any other non-profit
organizations.

>>Furthermore, anyone with experience in the modern printing world knows
>>that getting high quality (and affordable) printed artwork on a small
>>piece is very simple when using the right equipment.
>>

>It doesn't matter what equipment you use.  Small artwork with lots of
>fine detail reduces poorly; if it contains halftones, it reduces even
>more poorly.

Who says it has to be small? and how small are you talking for print
work? on a CD? thats not very small IMHO. One
should be able to attain excellent quality at that size. I consider
"small" artwork to be < 1in.

>>I've done several of these type of jobs on the iGen3 we have here at
>>my office. Anyways, this is WAY off from the original post, So I end
>>it with that.
>>

>Actually it is highly relevant, since a key reason for developing a
>simple logo is to make it easy to display and print.

Getting back to the point at hand, the beastie is nothing more than a
mascot. plain and simple. But people
are talking like there will be no more beastie representing FreeBSD. I
dont think this is the point.

Also, whoever started that petition needs to actually get some inside
information other than a "non publicized" (sp?)
anouncement. The true intention of this logo contest is likely to give
more of a corporate identity to freebsd as a whole.
I am now done with this thread. Once again, I will end it. (hopefully) :)

Kind Regards,
    Frank Laszlo