Firewall throughput question

sp0ng3b0b sp0ng3b0b at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 9 11:34:32 PST 2005

Darryl Hoar wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have had a Freebsd firewall (Older computer with (1) 3com 10Mb
> ethernet PCI card, and (1) 3 com 10/100 Mb ethernet PCI card).
> The firewall croaked on me (motherboard died).  As a quick fix,
> I plugged in a Linksys BEFSX41.
>
> My Question is, should I build a new Freebsd firewall or just
> continue using the Linksys ? Throughput and security are my
> concern.  I can have up to 20 machines on the LAN at one time
> using the internet, so traffic throughput is a factor.

You should use the Linksys if you are comfortable with it. It does use
less electricity.

If you are really concerned with security and perforance, I recommend at
least 500 MHz and 256 MB RAM. I have used Intel/3Com cards and both are
reliable. I recommend using PF though.

I am working on a replacement firewall right now. I am using a Sun Ultra
5 (360MHz) with a quad ethernet card. It will be running OpenBSD and PF.
I may using FreeBSD though, because I want to use ntop and ntop does not
work on OpenBSD.

Hope that helps.