Help to get Sound functioning on FreeBSD 5.3

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Tue Feb 8 17:27:42 PST 2005

On February 8, 2005 07:44 pm, albi wrote:
> Ean Kingston wrote:
> > I've been having problems getting sound to work on FreeBSD 5.3. It worked
> > find on 4.10 (before the upgrade) using the new sound system.

[quote of handbook]

> you followed all of that ? (just to be sure)
Yes I did follow all of that (three times now).

> and did you check the mixer-settings ?

but I didn't check the mixer settings. Software volume was set to 0.

Thanks a lot.

> > Any suggestions on a simple command line tool to test the sound system
> > out?
>
> in KDE you might encounter issues with artsd,
> try ctrl-alt-F2, and then e.g. ogg123 (vorbis-tools) or mpg321 are
> simple commandline tools to test your sound (in KDE there are some
> small ogg-files for certain programs already, try locate or find)

Also thank you for the suggestion. I find it a lot easier to debug problems
when I can fiddle with command line options instead of mucking about with GUI
tools.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org