Help to get Sound functioning on FreeBSD 5.3

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Tue Feb 8 16:11:33 PST 2005

Hi,

I've been having problems getting sound to work on FreeBSD 5.3. It worked find
on 4.10 (before the upgrade) using the new sound system.

I've googled for answers. I when through the Handbook section on setting up
the sound system twice to make sure I got everything right. The 5.3 install
is a new install from CD, then source cvsup and the usual make/build
world/kernel to install the system. It is an SMP system.

Here is the relevant part of dmesg :
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xb800-0xb83f irq 19 at device 9.0 on pci0

Here is what sndstat says:
$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> at io 0xb800 irq 19 kld snd_es137x (1p/1r/2v
channelsduplex default)

Any suggestions on a simple command line tool to test the sound system out?

I'm using KDE (installed with base system). I noticed that artswrapper is not
completely up-to-date so I am going to update all relevant parts of KDE to
get it up to date for testing.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org