Newbie Security Concerns

crzdgns1 at starpower.net crzdgns1 at starpower.net
Tue Feb 8 08:01:13 PST 2005

Hello,

I am a new user of UNIX and FreeBSD and have never had to do any
administration or security configuration myself before.  I am running
IP Firewall on FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE.  Last night I was checking my
logs and discovered  that sshd reported many illegal users.  Does
that mean my system i compromised?  As configured, there are only
three accounts on my system, root, toor, and one user account for
me.  I suppose you need more information from me, but am not sure
what to provide.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark