Using FreeBSD to migrate Windows XP?

John john at starfire.mn.org
Tue Feb 8 05:08:48 PST 2005

OK - I've finally come to the realization (a little slow, I know)
that a 5.8Gb disk drive is just not enough to support a desktop
environment (including JAVA) for both Windows XP and FreeBSD on my
laptop. :(

I have used dump(8) to dump out my filesystems.  I am wondering
if I can just use "dd" to dump out all of /dev/ad0s1 also,
and then use "dd" to put it back again when I'm done.  Then
I'd boot the installation CD into "fixit" mode, build a new
MBR, make sure that the new s1 was the same or very slightly larger
than the old s1, and use dd to put it back again.  Can anyone
speak to either the "doomed to failure" or "I've done this and
it works" scenarios?

Thanks.

BTW, just out of curiosity, does anyone know off the top of their
heads where dump(8) puts the snapshot name when used with the L
option? I assumed it would be in the .snap directory, but when I
did an "ls -la" of /home/.snap while it was running, there was
nothing there.  I suppose it could remove the snap after it builds
the map of what diskblocks to back up, but that could still lead
to "fuzzy" backups.
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG