Sendmail masquerading configuration

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Tue Feb 8 04:43:01 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 03:05:21AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt typed:

Sorry, but this simply isn't true. I have just tested this. Warnings
like this might get generated when you remove root from the
TRUSTED_USERS macro; *NOT* when you remove it from EXPOSED_USERS.

> It also makes it harder to troubleshoot when someone external to
> your system is sending bogus junk to you.

I agree. As I said in the part of my message you snipped:

"BTW, I agree that masquerading is NOT the proper way to do these things."

> And while it's not applicable now, with older versions of sendmail
> this would definitely break all your scripts that used e-mail.
>
> Use of the -f flag is what he needs to do.

Fine. But the OP's problem concerned mail send by cron. How would you
instruct cron to use the -f flag? (There's a MAILTO environment
variable in cron, but no MAILFROM)

Ruben