Very general shutdown question

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Mon Feb 7 03:49:26 PST 2005

* Steven <freebsd at gizm0.org> [0203 23:03]:
> Hello Ned,
>
> you can add the user to the operator group. it is possible to run
> shutdown then (but not halt etc).

Be caneful of that, I think operator  has other privileges too
(can read from any disk for starters).

> You could also create a shutdown user with a login shell pointing to a
> shutdown script.

But that won't work if they still don't have permission to run it...

--
'...and then we wrote scripts to write the configs for us, and using
these scripts, we made mistakes in a faster, more automated manner.'