natd or firewall problem?

Chris Hodgins chodgins at cis.strath.ac.uk
Sat Feb 5 07:00:58 PST 2005

Gelsema, Patrick wrote:
> Thats right, you can do the following:
> Put the ip-address with its FQDn (www.webserverwhatever.com) in every hosts
> file (taken its windows) or in its hosts file on freebsd. Or you run an
> internal DNS with an internal zone for your domain whilst running on the
> internet the external zone.
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick

Out of interest, why would using the external ip address not work.
Would the packets not just be directed out to the router as per usual
and then the router would notice it should forward the packets to the
www server?  What am I missing?  The only problem I can think of might
be sending packets back to the internal ip address.

Thanks
Chris

[snip]