make.conf syntax question (MODULES_OERRRIDE)

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Fri Feb 4 10:18:51 PST 2005

On Feb 4 at 12:55, Lowell Gilbert launched this into the bitstream:

> "Colin J. Raven" <colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl> writes:
>
>> I'm considering *not* loading unecessary modules in a new kernel, so I
>> need to ask what seems like some dumb questions.
>>
>> In the kernel config file (MYKERNEL in this case) does commenting out
>> stuff there stop some modules from loading? So for example if I comment
>> out SCSI support are the relevant modules for that built, or not built
>> when compiling the new kernel? It seems that the logical answer is
>> "they're not built if you comment them out" yet I have no way of knowing
>> if that instinct call is right or not.
>
> By default, all of the modules are built whether you use them or not.
> That has nothing to do with the kernel config file; if you compile an
> option directly into the kernel, you don't need to load a module in
> order to use that functionality.
>
>> The second question concerns the make.conf MODULES_OVERRIDE option
>> syntax. Is the syntax:
>
> Don't bother with that option at all; your belief that you need it is
> based on your incorrect understanding of what modules (as opposed to
> kernel definitions) do.  Other than a little bit extra build time,
> there's rarely any reason for an ordinary user to *not* build all of
> the modules every time.

Thank you! Undoubtedly you have saved me a considerable amount of time
and apparently unecessary work.

What I was (erroneously) trying to do was trim down the kernel to its
absolute minimum size and maximum performance, my thought was if I don't
need it, don't load it. I guess the logical question follows
though....why build all those modules (500 and something if I recall
correctly) if they're unused and not necessary?

It seems counter intuitive somehow, but probably I'm not seeing the
issue in its proper light.

Many thanks for your advice and guidance.

Regards,
-Colin
--
Colin J. Raven