5.3 ata / atapicam issues (update)

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 04:22:59 PST 2005

--- "Daniel S. Haischt" wrote:

> Can you read through the attached PR and comment
> its contents, please?

It's a little too technical for me, but let me add
the components of one of my trouble PCs:

atapci0: <VIA 82C596B UDMA66 controller>
ad0: 43979MB <IBM-DTLA-307045/TX6OA50C> [89355/16/63]
     at ata0-master PIO4
acd0: CDROM <CRD-8520B/1.00> at ata1-master PIO4

The harddisk can do UDMA100, but if I let FreeBSD 5.3
sort it out by itself, the kernel panics at bootup.
Modifying loader.conf, forces my fast harddisk to
operate at PIO4 mode, which is far from optimum; it
should at least be able to operate at UDMA66 !!

FreeBSD 5.3 is not capable of solving this properly.

This observation I could not find in your PR report.

Regards,
Rob.