5.3 ata / atapicam issues (update)

Daniel S. Haischt me at daniel.stefan.haischt.name
Thu Feb 3 02:51:47 PST 2005

Hello,

I think time has come to fill a problem report.
I did started a initial one, which is attached
to this mail.

Can you read through the attached PR and comment
its contents, please?

Rob schrieb:
>>Hope this helps someone. I'm not at all sure
>>where/what the problem is but
>>I'll be happy to run on the embedded controller for
>>the time being. (while
>>PIO 4 != DMA 133, reliability/functionality is
>
> king!)
>
> Neither have I an idea what going on here, but
> after having upgraded a few PCs from 4.10 to 5.3,
> I empirically deduced following conclusions:
>
> 1) The problems is since 5.3, not with any 4.X.
>
> 2) Such problems occur when the media (harddisk in my
>   case) are capable of doing a higher speed than the
>   motherboard. For example, harddisk can do maximum
>   UDMA100, but motherboard can maximum handle UDMA66.
>   In such cases I need  hw.ata.ata_dma="0"  in
>   loader.conf, which slows down the speed to PIO4.
>
> Without the hw.ata.ata_dma="0", I get various
> results, which can be 'kernel panic at bootup after
> installation' on one PC, to 'odd crashing of X for
> no good reason' on another PC.
>
> When the maximum speeds of harddisk and motherboard
> match, there's no problem, eventhough they may both
> operate at a lower than maximum speed.
>
> Something really uggly has entered the code of 5.3,
> with respect to disk speed matching, I believe.
>
> Regards,
> Rob.

SEND-PR: -*- send-pr -*-
SEND-PR: Lines starting with `SEND-PR' will be removed automatically, as
SEND-PR: will all comments (text enclosed in `<' and `>').
SEND-PR:
SEND-PR: Please consult the following URL if you are not sure how to
SEND-PR: fill out a problem report:
SEND-PR: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/problem-reports/
SEND-PR:
SEND-PR: Note that the Synopsis field is mandatory.
SEND-PR:
SEND-PR: Please note that (unless you state otherwise) if your report
SEND-PR: includes a patch then it will be taken under the same license as
SEND-PR: the one on the file(s) you want to change.
SEND-PR:
SEND-PR: BE ADVISED THAT FREEBSD PROBLEM REPORTS ARE PUBLIC INFORMATION AND
SEND-PR: WILL BE PUBLISHED AS-IS ON THE PROJECT'S MAILING LISTS AND WEB SITES.
SEND-PR: DO NOT SUBMIT ANY INFORMATION YOU DO NOT WANT MADE PUBLIC.
SEND-PR:
SEND-PR: If you wish to submit a problem report confidentially, then contact
SEND-PR: the FreeBSD bugmaster (bugmaster at FreeBSD.org) to arrange for a
SEND-PR: relevant developer to be contacted.
SEND-PR:
SEND-PR: For sensitive security issues, consider contacting the FreeBSD
SEND-PR: security officer team (security-officer at freebsd.org) directly.
SEND-PR:
SEND-PR: Choose from the following categories:
SEND-PR:
SEND-PR: advocacy  alpha     amd64     bin       conf      docs
SEND-PR: gnu       i386      ia64      java      kern      misc
SEND-PR: ports     powerpc   sparc64   standards threads   usb
SEND-PR: www
SEND-PR: