NFS tweaking (mount_nfs and fstab)

Benjamin P. Keating bkeating at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:54:00 PST 2005

Hey FreeBSD community,

Firstly - Whats the difference between freebsd-questions and
freebsd-newbies? Just the level of detail / questions asked? Let me
know if I should be posting somewhere besides this list.

Ok, so I've been transferring large tar files (60gig+) to a nfs mount
(both client and server are on the same LAN and both FreeBSD). Every
so often the transfer halts. My NIC is using the `vr` driver so
changed to a Intel card using the fxp driver - I'm told this is much
more reliable. anyway...

Since I'm spending so much time babying this NFS mount, I'd like to
tweak it the best I can for fast, reliable read/write access.

I googled and found a suggestion of:
mount -t nfs -o -r=32768,-w=32768 bigbang:/backup/ad4m1a/tic /backup

Can someone tell me if the -r,-w values are sane? Also - assuming
those values are correct and make things reliably faster, how would I
A). Check to see that these arguments are in action and B). add them
to my /etc/fstab?

I've assumed the following:
bigbang:/backup/ad4m1a/tic /backup      nfs     rw,-r=32768,-w=32768
    0       0

Is this correct? Any NFS experts care to share there knowledge on how
to tweak NFS to a solid, fast state.