Epson Perfection 2400 USB scanner support

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Wed Feb 2 13:00:58 PST 2005

I'm looking to buy a scanner and was thinking about getting an Epson
Perfection 2400 USB scanner.  It is listed as having "complete" SANE
support, but it is not listed as being supported in the uscanner(4) man
page.

According to a page (http://khk.net/sane/usb_scanner.html) on the SANE
Epson back-end Web site, the vendor and product id for the Epson
Perfection 2400 are 0x04b8 and 0x011b respectively.  I looked
in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs on the system on which I'll probably use
the scanner (running FreeBSD 6-CURRENT) and I noticed there is indeed an
entry with the same product id, but it is identified as "GT-9300UF
scanner".  The entry in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs on my NetBSD/alpha
system actually identifies 0x011b as "Perfection 2400 scanner."

So, is the Epson GT-9300UF just an alternative market name (Japan,
perhaps?) for the Epson Perfection 2400?  (Though the "UF" suffix would
indicate it has both USB and FireWire interfaces.)

Is anyone successfully using an Epson Perfection 2400 USB scanner under
either FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE or FreeBSD 6-CURRENT?  (Does it work
reliably?  Would you recommend this scanner?)

If anyone has any general recommendation for a cheap scanner that works
well under FreeBSD, I'd be glad to hear it.

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa