Alright, you jdk14 geeks...

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Feb 1 15:48:30 PST 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 6:10 PM, John wrote:
> Once it is BUILT on the NFS system - will I be able to INSTALL
> it on my clients?  Has anyone tried anything like this?

Once you've got a native JDK built as a package on FreeBSD, you can
install it on other FreeBSD client machines, yes, no problem.  If you
want to distribute the JDK to machines owned by someone else who are
your business clients, well, that is another story.

> Is this OK with the license agreement?

You need to understand the license agreements yourself:

http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/j2se/java2/license.html
http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/j2se/java2/
thirdpartylicense.txt

"This Attachment C is only effective for the Technology
specified in Attachment B, upon execution of Attachment D
(Commercial Use License) including the requirement to pay
royalties.  In the event of a conflict between the terms of
this Attachment C and Attachment D, the terms of Attachment
D shall govern."

If you don't understand what the license means or what the royalties
are for redistributing a commercial version of Java, talk to your
laywer and Sun.

--
-Chuck