gdm, dbus or xscreensaver...?

Jeff Molofee nehe at cruzinternet.com
Sat Dec 31 17:56:41 PST 2005

I've had a serious problem this past week. I did an update last week,
and after rebooting, I noticed an odd bar of scrambled graphics at the
top of the screen in gdm/gnome. When I moved the mouse the bar would
change, my keyboard would lock, etc. I ended up removing everything, and
reinstalling clean.

For the past 3 nights everything has been fine. Until I updated my ports
today.

 From console I watched the system upgrade GDM, DBUS and XSCREENSAVER. I
shutdown, restarted my machine, and as soon as the gdm login screen
appears I see this scrambled bar of color at the top of the screen. It
looks like the mouse is somehow causing data to write directly to the
display. I can still see my mouse pointer, and everything seems to be
fine (keyboard works), but this bar of about 20-50 pixels full of random
colors wont go away. The minute I move the mouse those lines are filled
with colors.

I tried disabling dbus. This didn't help. I removed, and reinstalled
gdm, nothing. I removed and reinstalled xscreensaver, still nothing. I
know those were the only threee ports upgraded. Does anyone know what's
going on?

releng_6
intel cpu
sata drives
usb mouse/keyboard
gnome2
all ports up to date
kernel/world up to date
nvidia 5900fx

all worked fine a few hours ago :)

I can send a screenshot if anyone would like to see the problem.