Recursive FTP upload tool?

JK jdkullmann at aliencamel.com
Fri Dec 30 10:22:47 PST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:13:21 -0500
  Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2005, at 1:03 PM, JK wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:10:07 +0100 (CET)
>>  Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda at gmx.net> wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>> I'm looking for a command-line tool to recursively upload all
>>>changed
>>> files/directories to my homepage server via FTP.  Is there anything
>>> better than wput for this task?
>>
>> 'rsync' is perfectly suited for this and much much better than ftp.
>>
>> ''man rsync''
>

> It is, but I believe it only works over SSH. Perhaps it can be
> configured to work over FTP, I've never tried (no reason to).

Can you use ssh?  I personally never use nor enable FTP anymore these
days given the massive number of script kiddies and serious hackers
out there.  Regular FTP is just too insecure ( I don't know about more
recent ''secure'' FTP ).  Just use ssh and if it's not available on
the other end beg/tell/require them to enable it

I get easily over 1000 attempts per day from hackers trying to break
into my poor little colo'd server...