6.0-REL && isos of distfiles

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Fri Dec 30 05:54:36 PST 2005

guru at Sisis.de wrote:
> El día Thursday, December 29, 2005 a las 11:13:50AM -0600, Greg Barniskis escribió:

>>>My point was that I don't have a fast Internet link at home to fetch all
>>>the (new) sources for the distfiles and I was looking for distfiles on
>>>CD which match exactly the 6.0-REL ports collection requirements;

>>Anyway, do you think you could download an ISO of the sources all
>>that much faster than just downloading the sources directly from
>>their respective repositories around the world as is normally done?
>>OK, maybe a little bit faster, but not that much.
>

> Now you're close to my point :-)
>
> In the company, where I'm at the moment, I've an uplink to Internet
> of 2 mb, at home I've 64 kbit; so my idea was to fetch, lets say
> 4 CD at high speed, burn them and use them at home for the needed
> disfiles; it seems that this would be a good idea to place somewhere
> a start collection of the disfiles matching exactly the versions
> which will be fetched by the ports, at least for the the most common
> parts of the ports collection, don't you think so?

No, I don't. It's one thing for the individual port maintainers to
try to keep pace with updating the ports Makefiles telling you where
you can download each distfile from, and quite another to try to
create a central repository for these distfiles. Would you like to
volunteer to host it and keep it current? ;)

Also, the "most common parts of the ports collection" are on the
distribution ISOs as packages. Again, if you simply must have
sources not packages, then at your high speed location, do something
like:

portupgrade -F '*'

Then burn your own ISOs any which way you like. Try to be more
specific about what you want than '*' or you may be sorry due to the
sheer volume -- do you really want all of the sources for nearly
14,000 ports?

Or perhaps this is what you want?
http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm/bsdtool?id=yvFGn3kw&mv_pc=26

South Central Library System (SCLS)