6.0-REL && isos of distfiles

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Dec 29 09:13:53 PST 2005

guru at Sisis.de wrote:
> El día Thursday, December 29, 2005 a las 04:54:42PM +0100, Andreas Rudisch escribió:
>

>>On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:10:00 +0100, <guru at Sisis.de> wrote:
[snip]
>>Just install FreeBSD 6.0 and use the packages provided with the RELEASE,
>>or cvsup your ports tree and do a fresh install of the ports you need.
>

> My point was that I don't have a fast Internet link at home to fetch all
> the (new) sources for the distfiles and I was looking for distfiles on
> CD which match exactly the 6.0-REL ports collection requirements;

If you don't have a fast connection you might want to consider
installing the ports from packages (which *are* on the release ISO
images, at least for popular ports) rather than compiling all your
ports from source.

Anyway, do you think you could download an ISO of the sources all
that much faster than just downloading the sources directly from
their respective repositories around the world as is normally done?
OK, maybe a little bit faster, but not that much.

If you simply must have sources not packages, you might consider
using something like portupgrade -F to prefetch the sources you want
separately from doing compilation, and just batch it to do that
fetching overnight or something.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348