BSD Question's.

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Dec 24 15:04:31 PST 2005

On Saturday 24 December 2005 02:24 pm, rod person wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:01:53 -0800 (PST)
>
> Danial Thom <danial_thom at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I don't expect you to care, but saying you
> > "prefer FreeBSD" and saying "FreeBSD is better"
> > are different animals. I just wanted to know what
> > you could do with FreeBSD that you can't do with
> > Windows. I already know what I can do with
> > Windows that I can't do with FreeBSD.
>
> I didn't see the first few emails in this thread so excuse me
> if you have answered this, but what can you do on Windows
> that you can't do on FreeBSD. Other than play the latest and
> greatest games. I'm just wondering.

Get a real development platform that will also build programs on Unix.
Microsoft's developer program will use cvs on Unix, and submit scripts
to do the builds. On its bad day, there isn't anything on Unix that
comes close and that includes the ones you have to pay to use.

Just to be fair, I had to do a conversion from Cray Fortran to non-Cray
Fortran. It was an old program that allocated arrays and used pointers
with offsets in the calls to the subroutines. The debugger on FreeBSD
would catch the signal error but wouldn't show you the contents of the
arrays. MS debug would just error off; however, if you stuck a
breakpoint on the call that was blowing up on Unix, you could examine
the arrays on Windows and see what caused the errors. It is handy to
have them both around :).

Kent

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

"Nunca te acostarás sin saber una cosa más"