BSD Question's.

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 14:01:55 PST 2005

--- Don Hinton <don.hinton at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

> Hi Danial:
>
> On Saturday 24 December 2005 10:44, Danial Thom
> wrote:
> > --- Miguel Saturnino <mags at oniduo.pt> wrote:
> > > On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 07:34 -0800, Danial
> Thom

> > > <ringworm01 at gmail.com>

> Daniel
> > >
> > > A.

> had
> > >
> > > with

> FreeBSD

> > > desktop

> > > date

> > > method

> > > opinion

> as a
> > >
> > > people

> > > trying

> somehow
> > >
> > > have

> > > products

> that

> > > nothing).

> > > list?

> management

> that
> for
> > >
> > > the

> > > Well, that's your opinion. For me, FreeBSD
> is a
> > > much better desktop than
> > > Windows -- it runs solid and fast and
> enables
> > > me to be more productive
> > > in my work. Of course, what is good for me
> > > might not be so good for
> > > someone else, I guess it depends on your
> needs.
> >
> > "more productive" in what way?
> >
> > Without considering all of the programs I use
> > that only run in windows (such as my
> investment
> > analysis tools, camera interface and photo
> > editing programs), outline the "productivity"
> > advantages of FreeBSD in terms of:
> >
> > 1) Time from unwrapping the computer to
> having a
> > functional and usable system.
>
> For me, FreeBSD is about twice as fast/easy to
> install/configure, and
> infinitely cheaper.

Considering that WinXP usually comes on the
computer, I don't see how  "installing and
configuring FreeBSD" can be easier than having to
do nothing at all?

> > 2) General productivity advantages in a
> typical
> > day. ie: what can you do with FreeBSD that
> you
> > can't do in WinXP, and what is faster or more
> > productive in FreeBSD
>
> Depends on what you use it for.  I'm a C++
> developer, and have a need to
> examine/search/manipulate text files quite
> often, Windows, out of the box, is
> inappropriate for this type of work.  I'd have
> to install all sorts of
> applications, e.g., cygwin, et al, to get the
> applications/capabilities that
> come "out of the box" on a typical *nix system,
> FreeBSD, Linux, etc...

I'm a developer also, but I don't use the FreeBSD
desktop for this, I log into my freeBSD server
with my desktop browser or telnet/ssh.  I don't
see how such things are relevent to using one
desktop over the other.

> If, on the other hand, you are wedded to an
> application that only runs on
> windows, then the question is moot.
> Unfortunately, there is one windows
> program I'm forced to use, so I have a cheap
> laptop that sits on my desk for
> that purpose.  Though I never use it directly,
> except to reboot it when it
> hangs, say once a week, I access it via
> rdesktop in a window from one of my
> FreeBSD systems, typically my new HP laptop.

Being "weded to an application" and needing to do
practical things are separate matters to me. With
Windows i have choices of which apps I like
better. With Freebsd, I usually have 1 choice or
maybe no choices.

> But no one can convince you of which OS you
> should use.  If you want to try
> one, try it.  If not, don't.  I couldn't care
> less which OS other people use,
> just as I couldn't care less which car you
> drive.

I don't expect you to care, but saying you
"prefer FreeBSD" and saying "FreeBSD is better"
are different animals. I just wanted to know what
you could do with FreeBSD that you can't do with
Windows. I already know what I can do with
Windows that I can't do with FreeBSD.

DT