BSD Question's.

Don Hinton don.hinton at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Dec 24 10:20:50 PST 2005

Hi Danial:

On Saturday 24 December 2005 10:44, Danial Thom wrote:
> --- Miguel Saturnino <mags at oniduo.pt> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 07:34 -0800, Danial Thom
> >
> > wrote:
> > > --- "Michael C. Shultz"
> >
> > <ringworm01 at gmail.com>

> > A.

> > with

> > desktop

> > date

> > method

> > opinion

> > people

> > trying

> > have

> > products

> > nothing).

> > list?

> > > Why not just tell the truth, which is that
> > > Windows XP is the best that you can do for
> >
> > the
> >
> > > desktop
> >
> > Well, that's your opinion. For me, FreeBSD is a
> > much better desktop than
> > Windows -- it runs solid and fast and enables
> > me to be more productive
> > in my work. Of course, what is good for me
> > might not be so good for
> > someone else, I guess it depends on your needs.
>
> "more productive" in what way?
>
> Without considering all of the programs I use
> that only run in windows (such as my investment
> analysis tools, camera interface and photo
> editing programs), outline the "productivity"
> advantages of FreeBSD in terms of:
>
> 1) Time from unwrapping the computer to having a
> functional and usable system.

For me, FreeBSD is about twice as fast/easy to install/configure, and
infinitely cheaper.

> 2) General productivity advantages in a typical
> day. ie: what can you do with FreeBSD that you
> can't do in WinXP, and what is faster or more
> productive in FreeBSD

Depends on what you use it for.  I'm a C++ developer, and have a need to
examine/search/manipulate text files quite often, Windows, out of the box, is
inappropriate for this type of work.  I'd have to install all sorts of
applications, e.g., cygwin, et al, to get the applications/capabilities that
come "out of the box" on a typical *nix system, FreeBSD, Linux, etc...

If, on the other hand, you are wedded to an application that only runs on
windows, then the question is moot.  Unfortunately, there is one windows
program I'm forced to use, so I have a cheap laptop that sits on my desk for
that purpose.  Though I never use it directly, except to reboot it when it
hangs, say once a week, I access it via rdesktop in a window from one of my
FreeBSD systems, typically my new HP laptop.

But no one can convince you of which OS you should use.  If you want to try
one, try it.  If not, don't.  I couldn't care less which OS other people use,
just as I couldn't care less which car you drive.

happy holidays--I'm off to finish my shopping...
don