I could not dial with modem on FreeBSD?

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Wed Dec 21 09:16:47 PST 2005

Internal modems are manufactured for two target markets, MS/Windows
and
every thing else. Winmodems are cheep because the hardware
controller
function is handled by the software you have to install into
windows.
This hardware controller function is contained in a chip on the
modem
circuit board. Winmodems are missing this chip and have a
replacement
chip that directs the modem to use driver software running in the
windows system to perform the controller function. The most common
replacement chip is manufactured by Lucent. There are many versions
of
this Lucent chip each version needing a different software driver
version.

Up until version 4.4, FBSD did not have any solution to using
Winmodems, but with the release of 4.4 the ports collection contains
the  "Linux Winmodem 'ltmdm' driver" which was ported to FBSD.
This port is very poorly documented, only works with a limited
number of Lucent chip version, and is unreliable.  Your whole
internet
connection is managed by your modem and trying to shoe horn a modem
specially manufactured for the MS/Windows operating system into FBSD
is not the way to achieve a satisfactory dialup connection.

To summarize.
For best results you should use an external serial modem for
connecting
your FBSD box to the internet. This method works using the default
generic kernel,
creates no irq conflicts with the motherboard bios, and will work
right
out of the box so to say. All serial modems use the PC's serial
ports'
controller built into the motherboard. This has been the standard
since
PCs first came out

If you want to use a internal modem in FBSD, you have to get one
that has an
onboard controller, preferable one that uses the PCI bus and has
onboard
jumpers to select irq number and com port setting.  Even under
Windows
it's better to use a modem that has a hardware controller.
These cost around $100.00.

I recommend the Zoom model 3049L external modem, works right out
of the box.

How to determine if FBSD found my modem at boot time?
The Boot log /var/run/boot.log is where you find out if FBSD found
your modem. If you are using a external serial modem, then in the
boot
log you would see some messages about sio0 and sio1 having there irq
number assigned, these are your PCs com port 1 and 2.  For ISA and
PCI modems, If you see PCI device unknown, this means FBSD found
your
modem during the probe process but could not match it to known
devices
in it's device table. This generally means your modem is a winmodem.
If FBSD knows your modem it will replace the (unknown) keyword with
the
description of your modem. This does not mean you will have a
working
modem, it just means FBSD found it during the probe and has it
listed
in it's internal table. This is where you have to  check out the irq
number assigned by the PCs bios. During the PC hardware boot process
the Bios summary screen should be displayed. You have to check this
display to verify that your modem is not sharing it's bios assigned
irq
number with another device. Some times turning off the bio's
plug-n-play option will allow you to assign irq numbers to devices.
Setup bios have different options depending  on the motherboard
manufacture. Best advice is to play a round with bio setting until
the
summary screen shows the Nic and modem cards are not sharing irq's
with other devices.
They have to have exclusive use of the assigned irq number.

The final test is to use the tip program to talk directly to the
modem.
Enter tip com1 or com2 to connect to the external serial modem,
or tip com3 or com4 to connect to internal ISA or PCI modems.
If the tip command responds with the connected  message then your
modem is functioning correctly. Try entering the Hayes  at command,
the modem should answer with ok.
Use ~ followed by ctrl + d keys at same time to exit tip command.