FreeBSD starter machine

Chris Whitehouse chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 14:06:00 PST 2005

Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> On 12/13/05, Chris Whitehouse <chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>A way to use your current machine for both operating systems without
>>dual booting is to install a second hard disk, install FreeBSD and
>>select which to boot from in the bios. It's a slight faff changing boot
>>disk but works fine and keeps the OS's completely separate.
>>

> Could you please tell me the problems which could rise using dual boot?
>
> I really can't imagine any, since the two (or more) OSes are on
> different slices, and can't interfere which each other in any way.

Decide to redo the play machine when too tired, fdisk the wrong slice...
As a newbie not understand which slice to fdisk... It was really in
response to OP being 'not keen about running dual OS's' I have to run
windows for work and sharing a play machine with a must be working
machine doesn't seem as safe on a dual boot setup as two separate disks.
You can even unplug the other disk to avoid mistakes.

Just my choice.

Chris