FreeBSD starter machine

Beecher Rintoul akbeech at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 18:10:05 PST 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 02:19 pm, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Matt S. Gann wrote:
> >   I have a few questions about FreeBSD.  I am just beginning to get into
> > UNIX.  I know a few line commands,
>
>   but really want to get familiar and comfortable with the OS.  I have
> been intrugued by FreeBSD for many
> years now, but I own a windows-based PC and am not keen about running
> dual OS's.  I would like to get a
> cheap, used, small desktop or laptop to "tinker" with Unix/Linix and
> FreeBSD.  However, I know little
> to nothing about system requirements and/or hardware compability.  I was
> thinking of an old 486 or Pentium
> 1 to get started.  Any thoughts on what I could start with?

Although you can run FreeBSD on a 486 I wouldn't recommend it. Rebuilding the
system from sources took two full days. Also if you plan to run "X" and
something like KDE you will find it painfully slow. One of my boxes is a
500MHz Celeron which is quite usable. If you have a reasonably fast box I
concur with just adding a second drive. You can always mount your windows
drive and copy files into FreeBSD. Except for some proprietary apps you will
find plenty of software in the FreeBSD ports to do just about anything you
can do in windows.