argh with freebsd's networking!

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 23:54:45 PST 2005

On Thu 15 Dec 05 23:54, "Jeff D. Hamann"
<jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com> wrote:
> I've been a big fan of FreeBSD for a few years now, expect for the
> fact that getting a NIC is always a gamble. Since time is limtied
> (and most costly) I can't afford to spend another minute trying to
> get my new laptop up and running with FreeBSD.
>
> I've recently purchased a laptop (sager 3880 -- very nice so far) and
> have had no success getting either the rj-45 network interface
<snip>

Well, after a bit of searching it seems you have Marvell Yukon Gigabit
ethernet. I have a similar controller on my Asus motherboard, and it
works with:

device		sk

in the kernel config. However, I am not positive this driver will work
for you, as the chipset is slightly different.

<snip>
> I've got an old PC card
> wireless network card (netgear ma401 -- 16-bit)  and tried to hook
> that up to my network which has wep security and had difficulty
> getting that to work. I'm experienced enough to be able to recompile
> the kernel so if that's the hang up that's no problem but I simply
> need a way to get either support or the package onto the machine.

I am not very familiar with wireless and FreeBSD, but as a last resort
you can always get a cheap PCMCIA ethernet or wireless card which you
know to work with FreeBSD.

- jt