Polling For 100 mbps Connections? (Was Re: Freebsd ThemeSong)

Cezar Fistik cezar at arax.md
Wed Dec 14 12:42:02 PST 2005

Hello all,

> Or maybe FreeBSD just sucks wind? I promise you
> that no machine known to man can pass 150Mb/s and
> be 99% idle. Get a god-damned clue for pete's
> sake. All polling does is screw up accounting so
> the timings are wrong. At best there's a marginal
> difference in performance. You still have to
> process the packets.

> Lets see, this "Test" would mean that his box
> could handle 100 x 150Mb/s, or 15Gb/s. Thats
> quite a little router you have there! lol.

I have to recognize that I didn't follow the thread very carefuly and
I propbably missed some posts. I just wanted to say that when using
freebsd as a pure router using intel cards, polling realy helps. I've
noticed 10-20% CPU utilization decrease with polling enabled. Second, I
didn't mean 150Megabytes/sec, rather Megabits/sec. Third the actual
CPU load is ranging from 0-4% (according to top), but with an average
of 1%. And finally I just did a test and enabled polling on that box.
The CPU idle state immediately dropped to 88% while interrupts
increased to 10-12%.

P.S
Danial, have a look at this http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/Mbps.html

--